Readings in PoetryENG 220W
Prerequisite: READING LEVEL 3 and any approved College Composition I course with a minimum grade of C. Studies the background, developments, and the current state of modern poetry. Emphasizes poetry by American and British authors. Credit may be earned in ENG 220W or LIT 220W but not both. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Analyze literature in the subject area.
- Interpret the meanings of literary works using various theoretical approaches.
- Identify various literary genres.
- Demonstrate analytical understanding through writing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various poetic devices and structures.
Participate in writing to learn activities.
- Perform writing tasks to promote learning.
- Write effectively for a specific audience and purpose.
- Demonstrate the learning of concepts through writing.
- Articulate an interpretative response based on a close reading of a poem.
Demonstrate an understanding of the cultural and historical context for this body of literature.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the life of the poet and the society in which he or she lives.
- Discuss the relevancy of poetry to contemporary society.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various cultural identities.