Advanced Technical CommunicationENG 213
Prerequisite: ENG 112 or ENG 113 with a "C" (2.0) or better. Provides experience in the written and oral presentation of technical material. Includes practice in professional formal and informal written reports, research in technical, scientific, or medical topics. Strengthens skills in professional level writing style and applications. Practices online research, document production, and technology application. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate the ability to read and analyze the content of professional documents.
- Review the skills required to process professional correspondence.
- Analyze written and graphic content for professional applications.
Demonstrate the ability to produce professional correspondence and documents.
- Review the guidelines which are specific to professional writing.
- Identify and resolve complex grammatical applications.
- Lay out and write complex reports specific to a profession.
Analyze work related communication problems.
- Demonstrate the critical thinking skills required of a professional.
- Demonstrate the group process skills required of a professional.
Demonstrate professional presentation skills.
- Develop and deliver an oral presentation of the work done.
- Demonstrate participation skills required for small (interpersonal) groups, particularly to solve problems.
Select, design, and construct graphic aids accurately and appropriately.
- Identify purpose and audience for document graphics and presentation graphics.
Produce and write a researched professional report.
- Demonstrate familiarity with professional journals.
- Demonstrate familiarity with professional and academic formats for long, formal written reports.
- Demonstrate familiarity with electronic applications.
Create a professional portfolio.
- Compile a portfolio of previous communication documents based on professional work experience, internship experience, or in-service experience.
Demonstrate professional conduct associated with team leadership and management.
- Identify appropriate ethical behavior.
- Identify professional liability concerns.
- Identify the importance of networking, teamwork, and workplace cooperation.