Technical CommunicationENG 113
Prerequisite: A "C" grade or better in a college level composition I course. Covers techniques for presentation of technical material in formal and informal written reports, letters and other current forms of business and technical communication. Emphasizes general principles used for successful written communication experiences in the professional world and the development of thinking and organizational skills, with specific applications to technical courses or professional case studies. Credit may be earned in only one of: ENG 113, ENG 113A or ENG 113B. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate the ability to produce professional correspondence and documents appropriate for a professional setting.
- Construct a business letter.
- Construct a memo.
- Construct a professional researched technical report.
- Construct electronic messages.
- Incorporate graphic aids appropriately.
Compose effectively for a professional audience and setting.
- Use the writing process: pre-write, write, revise, edit.
- Write with clarity.
- Write with efficiency.
- Select, organize and present necessary details to support a main idea.
Produce an employment portfolio.
- Construct a resume and other employment correspondence.
- Prepare for a professional interview process.
Demonstrate the critical thinking skills required of a professional.
Demonstrate the basic speaking skills required of a professional.
- Prepare and deliver an oral presentation.
- Give extended oral explanations of work done.
Demonstrate professional conduct.
- Exemplify appropriate ethical behavior.
- Identify professional liability concerns.