Writing Methods/College Composition IENG 111C
Prerequisite: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 3. Develops fluent, effective, and confident writers. Practices the process of composing; generating ideas; shaping and evaluating writing. Uses reading and language awareness to further the development of writing. This course will transfer to universities and partially fulfill the college's English composition requirement. ENG 111C is intended to only be taken in a learning community combination. Credit may be earned in only one of: ENG 111, ENG 111A, ENG 111B, ENG 111C or ENG 111H. (45-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Write effectively for appropriate rhetorical situations.
- Use the writing process: pre-write, write, and revise.
- Write with clarity.
- Select, organize, and present details to support a main idea.
- Use generalizations and details effectively.
- Demonstrate the ability to derive meaning of text from multiple perspectives.
- Demonstrate the ability to distinguish between the meaning one makes of a text and the author’s intended purpose.
- Show comprehension by accurately paraphrasing and summarizing a wide variety of texts.
Develop critical thinking skills.
- Explore the relationships among language, knowledge, and power.
- Develop critical thinking skills and apply them to reading texts.
- Demonstrate intermediate skills for information literacy, including accessing, analyzing, and using resources.