Genres in Film HistoryEMB 175W
Examines major film styles and genres prevalent through the history of American cinema. Discusses groundbreaking works and popular film styles and analyzes their production values, editing techniques and influences on later films and other media. Researches individual directors and films and presents written critical analysis of technical and influential contributions to filmmaking. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of the history and development of early film styles, shooting and editing techniques by influential individuals in the medium.
- Examine historical and influential films, cinematographers and directors.
- Identify groundbreaking techniques in shooting, editing and presentation.
Comprehend how early cinema, techniques, styles and individuals influence modern and popular filmmaking, television and the internet.
- Examine modern and popular films, cinematographers and directors and identify any influences from historical cinema.
- Identify any new or groundbreaking styles or techniques developed through new technologies.
Demonstrate the ability to critically examine major film genres, director styles and production techniques through in class discussions and written essays.
- Present and discuss critical analysis of early films, style, technique and directors.
- Present and discuss critical analysis of modern and popular films, style, technique and directors.