Soldering TechniquesEET 230
Develops skill in soldering and printed circuit board fabrication and repair, using commonly accepted industrial practices. Covers safety, chemical handling, contamination of work area, grounding, materials, and waste handling. Producing a functioning printed circuit assembly is required. (8-22)
Outcomes and Objectives
Discuss safety precautions applied to soldering.
- Identify and discuss the need for personal safety precautions as applied to soldering
- Identify and discuss the need for workplace safety precautions as applied to soldering
- Describe and discuss the Right-to-Know law
- Correctly identify common chemicals in soldering and circuit board fabrication
- Describe hazards associated with contamination of common chemicals used in soldering and circuit board fabrication
- Identify correct procedures for disposal of common chemicals used in soldering and circuit board fabrication
Discuss proper soldering techniques.
- Discuss material content
- Discuss temperature requirements
- Identify causes of cold solder joints
- Identify results of contamination in the soldering process
Describe mechanical and electrical connections.
- Identify mechanical connections in electrical and electronic assemblies
- Identify electrical connections in electrical and electronic assemblies
- Identify soldered connections in electrical and electronic assemblies
- Describe the need for mechanical and electrical connections
Describe the negative resist photo masking process in printed circuit board fabrication.
- Identify negative and positive artwork
- Examine and repair artwork before usage
- Identify and discuss procedures used to create PC-board
- Demonstrate negative resist photo masking process by creating a usable PC-board
Demonstrate soldering techniques associated with printed circuit component installation and repair.
- Identify repairable/non-repairable faulty PC-board
- Demonstrate appropriate techniques for repair of PC-board traces
- Demonstrate appropriate techniques for repair of PC-board of donuts and lands
- Demonstrate proper use of soldering station
- Demonstrate proper solder removal techniques using solder suckers and wicking wire
- Demonstrate proper removal of components from PC-board
- Demonstrate proper soldering techniques
- Demonstrate proper solder rework techniques
- Demonstrate proper component installation techniques
- Identify proper appearance of solder joints
- Identify cold solder joints
- Complete assembly of PC-Board
Demonstrate connector assembly procedures.
- Identify types of electrical connectors, both commercial and mil-spec
- Determine whether connector is solder or crimp type
- Identify common instrumentation connectors
- Demonstrate proper connector assembly procedures