Best Practices in Teaching and LearningEDU 390W
Prerequisite: Instructor permission to register. Addresses topics and skills essential for effective and innovative teaching and learning practices. Explores the dynamics of teaching and learning and provides models, strategies, and options that emphasize active learning and reflective teaching. Credit may be earned in ED 390 or EDU 390 but not both. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Create an environment that fosters positive learning experiences.
- Identify, discuss, develop and implement effective and creative strategies to facilitate student learning.
- Identify and apply effective classroom management techniques.
- Identify teacher characteristics that help to nurture a positive learning environment.
- Develop strategies that foster the creation of a community within the classroom.
Understand the educational and professional growth opportunities at Delta College to develop, improve, and support best teaching practices.
- Identify a mentor and initiate opportunities to grow from that individual’s experience and expertise.
- Demonstrate a beginning understanding of assessment processes at Delta College: classroom assessment, program assessment, and General Education assessment.
- Develop a growing understanding of, and begin to apply, Delta’s model of course learning Outcomes and Objectives in course planning and assessment.
- Recognize, locate, and use both physical and online locations of the various faculty and student support services at Delta College (i.e. eLearning, Audio/Visual, Faculty Center for Teaching Excellence).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the faculty promotion and tenure processes.
- Identify and utilize cohort relationships with Delta faculty and staff.
Develop, implement and evaluate learning techniques to enhance teaching and learning effectiveness.
- Compare and contrast assessment and evaluation strategies.
- Identify educational technologies that can enhance the learning experience.
- Evaluate effectiveness of various new techniques and innovations in your courses to facilitate learning.
- Recognize how opportunities for learning can be enhanced through online strategies.
- Describe the rationale for, and representative applications of, some selected curricular innovations, including Writing to Learn; Academic Service-Learning; cooperative learning; learning communities, and programs for Under prepared and Honors students.