Introduction to STEM Explorer: Deep DiveEDU 225
Prepares 9th through 12th grade teachers wishing to participate in the STEM Explorer Deep Dive program with their students in the upcoming school year. Teachers are introduced to the features of the STEM Explorer and how it can be used to support the Deep Dive, a Project-Based Learning experience. Teachers learn how to lead their students through the engineering process as it relates to their specific discipline(s). Teachers also learn the basics of 3D parametric solid modeling and how to guide students through the rapid prototyping process. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of the STEM Explorer Deep Dive Project.
- Articulate the vision of the STEM Explorer Deep Dive program.
- Identify the specific NGSS performance expectations that connect the Deep Dive project to the specific discipline(s).
- Design a theoretical solution to a discipline-based engineering problem.
- Complete a series of tutorials to become acclimated to the features and capabilities of Solid Works (a feature-based, parametric, solid modeling program).
Produce lessons for the Deep Dive Project
- Use Solid Works to create and 3D print a prototype model as a design solution to the engineering problem.
- Contribute meaningfully to the eLearning online discussion threads concerning the engineering problem as well as the Solid Works program.
- Create one NGSS-based lesson to build background knowledge necessary to implement the Deep Dive project in the specific discipline(s).
- Create one NGSS-based follow-up lesson to implement after the Deep Dive project has been completed.
Implement the Deep Dive Project.
- Schedule initial and follow-up visits from the STEM Explorer team for the upcoming school year.
- Present the prototype design solution to the class and participate in an end-of-class wrap up discussion on site at Delta College (before work with students begins).
- Work with the students and the STEM Explorer team to implement the Deep Dive project in the teacher's classroom.
- Participate in three discussion threads on eLearning: reflections on the pre-project lesson, working with students on Solid Works, and reflections on the post-project lesson.
- Accompany students at the end-of-year Deep Dive gathering where group projects are judged for various awards and recognition.