Modern Manufacturing ProcessesEDU 214
Open to educators who have recently completed a Delta College developed internship or job-shadowing experience in a modern manufacturing environment. Seeks to develop classroom lessons, projects, and performance assessments based on educator workplace experiences and current educational standards. Provides opportunity for collaboration and includes implementation of the unit of instruction in the participant’s classroom from development through construction and assessment.
Outcomes and Objectives
Correlate the workplace experience to relevant grade level curriculum standards
- Correlate common manufacturing themes to current, relevant standards such as Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), etc.
- Identify common themes between workplace experiences through discussion with classmates.
- Formally present workplace experience to the class.
Develop a Modern Manufacturing Unit of Instruction for a Middle School Classroom
- Present the anticipated unit of instruction to peers for feedback.
- Outline an assessment plan for the unit of instruction.
- Devise methods for students to use in testing/evaluating their manufactured product.
- Invite a local business partner to visit the classroom during the Unit of Instruction.
- Determine calendar dates for teaching the unit.
- Identify materials and equipment needed for the unit of instruction.
- Design a Unit of Instruction based on Modern Manufacturing themes and NGSS targets.
- Identify NGSS performance targets.
- Select a format/approach for a Unit of Instruction: (daily lessons, multi-day project, or multi-week project).
Implement a Modern Manufacturing Unit of Instruction in a Middle School Classroom
- Conduct Assessment.
- Administer “Student Perception of Manufacturing Survey” (Post).
- Record student reactions and/or attitudes that emerge during the unit.
- Estimate out of class time spent by students.
- Log classroom hours spent on task.
- Engage students in the Modern Manufacturing Unit of Instruction.
- Administer “Student Perception of Manufacturing Survey” (Pre).
Evaluate value of the Modern Manufacturing Unit of Instruction (written report and presentation)
- Present a summary of the Unit of Instruction to the class.
- Compose a summary to advise other instructors on the use of the Modern Manufacturing Unit.
- Submit instructions/lesson plans for teaching the Modern Manufacturing Unit.