Advanced Mechanical DesignDRF 257
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: DRF 107, DRF 128, MS 113, or permission of instructor.
Focuses on individual and/or team assignments working from complex design layouts to presentation of complete sets of working drawings, including product design, piping design, welding design, and plant layout. Emphasizes the CAD/CAE system, the design process, engineering references, and use of supplier catalogs. (30-90)
Outcomes and Objectives
Apply knowledge and skills from previous technical classes to provide solutions to complex mechanical designs.
- Participate in the design process to organize, communicate, and draw sets of working drawings as an individual or as a member of a design team.
- Demonstrate the design process of identify the problem, propose concepts & ideas, develop solutions, and prepare working drawings based on the design process.
- Demonstrate work on a variety of projects such as plant layout, piping, machine design, welding fabrication and fixtures.
Present professional quality mechanical designs.
- Draw professional level drawings using current catalog components, current drafting standards, and current graphic techniques.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills previously acquired in technical classes.
- Demonstrate skills in layout, dimensioning, tolerancing, multi-view & auxiliary projections, sectioning, and other related techniques.
- Projects may include tooling, fixturing, injection molds, robotics componentry and end effectors, etc. Projects may include the use of the 3-D printer and coordinate measuring machine.