Clinical Education IIDMS 207
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: DMS 112, DMS 113, DMS 114, DMS 115, DMS 116, and DMS 117 all with a "B" (3.
0) minimum grade. Concurrent enrollment in DMS 201, DMS 202, DMS 206, LWA 206B, and LWA 206C. Provides structured clinical experience necessary to perform sonographic procedures of the abdomen, pelvis, fetus, small parts, and vascular system. (0-440)
Outcomes and Objectives
Become familiar with the clinical facility and department policies and procedures.
- Attend hospital orientation or go through orientation with designated instructor.
- Identify the location of all crash carts, fire alarms and extinguishers.
- Learn the emergency number to dial for a code or other emergencies.
- Become knowledgeable in basic department mechanics.
Display professionalism in manners, communication, and dress.
- Adhere to the department dress code.
- Demonstrate punctuality.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate with patients and staff.
- Appreciate the worth and dignity of every patient.
- Demonstrate appropriate interaction techniques for various types of patients.
- Show concern for the patient's modesty at all times.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Demonstrate the appropriate procedure for patient transfer.
Demonstrate abilities needed to perform an ultrasound exam.
- Describe and demonstrate methods that obtain patient history.
- Select appropriate transducer(s) and machine settings for a specific exam.
- Understand and demonstrate the process for film acquisition.
- Show the ability to properly fill out an exam worksheet.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of all machine controls and functions.
- Enhance all previously learned skills in the following areas:
- Show competency in the following areas:
- Begin to show competency in
- Begin to show skills in the following areas: