Seminar on Practical ExamDH 229
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: DH 210, DH 213, DH 214, DH 215, DH 216, and DH 219 with a minimum grade of "C" (2.
0). Concurrent enrollment in DH 222, DH 225, DH 227, DH 228, and LWA 206C. Provides strategies and opportunities to practice skills to enhance success in licensure exams, position searches, and private practice. (15-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Inventory current knowledge of dental hygiene through self-evaluation and planning for success with personal study and practice needs for successfully completing the dental hygiene national and state (regional) licensing, and local anesthesia certification exams.
- Complete the pilot national exam(s).
- Assess deficient dental hygiene subject knowledge areas.
- Develop a plan for review and study to increase dental hygiene knowledge base.
- Recognize the organization of the national and NERB examinations including the following:
- Perform mock clinical exercises.
- Develop stress reduction techniques for each examination.
Seek and adapt to a private practice position.
- Apply for graduation
- Explain and complete the application for Michigan Dental Hygiene licensure.
- Construct a cover letter and resume.
- Demonstrate effective interviewing techniques.
- Compare and contrast clinical dental hygiene school to private practice.
- Cite the current laws and rules governing the dental hygiene practice.
- Discuss the implementation of HIPAA in private practice.
- List the insurance codes for common dental hygiene services.
Participate in and increase experience with private practice (real or simulated) clinical expectations.
- Complete patients in a real or simulated private practice in an efficient and quality controlled manner.
- Self evaluate areas of strengths and weaknesses in this setting.
- Develop a plan to increase strengths, and to lower/eliminate identified weaknesses.
Analyze the professional roles of a dental hygienist.
- Research and present career opportunities including required level of education/type of degrees, professional experience, work reponsibilites and potential earnings.
- Design a degree completion plan.