Clinical Dental Assisting IIDA 120
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: DA 110, DA 110LW, DA 113W, DA 114W, DA 117W, and HSC 140 with a "C" (2.
0) minimum grade in each. Concurrent enrollment in DA 120LW, DA 121W, DA 125W, and DA 125LW. Provides the knowledge for additional application of dental techniques to include dental specialties. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Explain the RDA duty of performing selective coronal polishing in conjunction with sealant placement.
- Identify necessary armamentarium.
- Discuss the various rational for selective coronal polishing by an RDA.
- Explain the procedure for selective coronal polishing.
- Explain the function of establishing a fulcrum.
Acquire knowledge of the principles of removable prosthodontics.
- Describe the scope and objectives of prosthetics.
- Define the various types of fixed and removable dental prostheses.
- Describe the function of various types of dental prostheses.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of various types of fixed and removable prosthetic restorations.
- Describe the preliminary steps to prosthetic treatment.
- Explain the factors to be considered by the dentist when various prostheses are recommended to a patient.
- Explain factors that are involved in becoming a successful prosthetic patient.
- Explain the dental assistant's role in prosthetics.
- Differentiate between a complete and partial denture.
- Name indications and contraindications for removable partial and complete dentures.
- List the components of a partial and complete denture.
- Describe the steps in the construction of a removable partial denture.
- Describe the steps in the construction of a complete denture.
- Describe the construction of an overdenture and an immediate denture.
- Identify the process of relining or preparing a partial or complete denture.
Identify her/his role and the armamentarium in endodontics.
- Describe the scope of endodontics.
- Describe the symptoms and etiology of an endodontically involved tooth.
- Explain the importance of radiography in endodontics.
- Identify and explain the function of specialized endodontic armamentarium.
- Describe the physical characteristics and function of common intracanal instruments.
- Describe the basic procedures common to an endodontic practice.
- Describe surgical procedures commonly found in endodontics.
- Explain the function and process of vital and non-vital bleaching.
- Identify the role of the dental assistant in various phases of endodontic treatment.
- identify the use of common intracanal medications.
- Identify common endodontic instruments.
Recognize the RDA role in drying endodontic canals with absorbent points.
- Explain the rational for drying canals.
- Explain the procedure for drying canals.
Recognize the RDA role in perform pulp vitality testing.
- Identify and compare the pulp testing methods.
- Describe the technique for each test.
Identify role and the armamentarium in pediatric dentistry.
- Define the specialty of pediatric dentistry.
- Describe the scope of pediatric dentistry.
- Explain the role of the dental assistant in pediatric dentistry.
- Describe common behavior patterns or stages in children.
- Describe behavior management of children in the dental office.
- Identify common treatment procedures in pediatric dentistry.
- Identify urgent care teatment in pediatric dentistry.
- List the signs and symptoms of child abuse.
- List the signs of child abuse.
- Explain the responsibilities for reporting suspected child abuse by health care professionals.
- List the components of child abuse and the likely subject of abuse.
Explain the RDA duty of applying a pit and fissure sealant.
- Identify the criteria in selecting a tooth for sealant application.
- Identify the benefits of a sealant on primary and permanent and their longevity.
- Identify the need for reexamination and replacement.
- Discuss the various types of sealants.
- Compare sealants and fluoride as a preventive measure.
Explain RDA duty of fluoride treatment - tray technique.
- Discuss the history and politics of fluoride.
- Explain the effects of fluoride on enamel.
- Compare systemic vs. topical application and effects.
- State cost of fluoridation of water.
- State ppm of fluoride in drinking water.
- List types of topical fluoride and methods of application.
- Compare positive and negative effects of fluoride.
- Recognize fluorosis and mottling.
Review dental emergency situations.
- Identify various medical emergencies that can be encountered in the dental setting
- Discuss various responses to dental emergencies
- Write a two page report on the role of the dental assistant in the dental emergecy
identify an oral pathology examination within the guidelines of the State Board of Dentistry.
- Define oral pathology.
- Explain the reaction of tissue to trauma or lesions.
- Identify the cardinal signs of acute inflammation.
- Describe the cause of pulpitis and the chronic progression to a periapical abscess, a fistula, and a parulis.
- Identify the cause and appearance of oral lesions.
Identify role and the armamentarium in the specialty of orthodontics.
- Identify and classify the different types of malocclusion.
- Describe the dental discrepancies that may be present n a malocclusion.
- Differentiate between interceptive and corrective phases of orthodontic treatment.
- Describe the types of diagnostic records used in orthodontic treatment planning.
- Differentiate between removable and fixed appliances.
- Identify the components of the fixed appliance system.
- Describe the biologic mechanism of tooth movement.
- Identify the RDA and dental assistant role.
Identify role and the armamentarium in the specialty of oral and maxiofacial surgery.
- Describe the role of the oral surgery assistant.
- List differences in design between an oral surgery and a general dental office.
- Identify common medical conditions that can affect dental treatment.
- Identify various types of anti-anxiety techniques and describe the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Describe the steps in tooth extraction. Describe other common oral surgical procedures.
- Discuss the role of the hospital in operative dentistry and maxillofacial surgery procedures.
- Identify the purposes of sutures.
- Identify the types of suture techniques.
- Identify the classification of suture material.
- Identify the implant components and procedure.
Monitor nitrous oxide according to the State of Michigan
- Explain the rules governing the monitoring of nitrous oxide.
- Explain theprocedure of monitoring nitrous oxide.
- Explain the safety guidelines for nitrous oxide.
- Identify the contraindications of nitrous oxide
- Monitor nitrous oxide on a simulated patient.
Identify role and the armamentarium in periodontics.
- Discuss the scope of the specialty of periodontics.
- Describe the role of the dental assistant in periodontics.
- Describe the types of signs of periodontal disease.
- Record periodontal conditions and state why each is important.
- Explain human relations practices that contribute to the success of periodontal treatment.
- Identify 10 factors that affect periodontal disease.
- Identify the function of a periodontal dressing.
- Explain the pplication of a periodontal dressing.