Website DevelopmentCST 210
Focuses on building websites in compliance with current standards and best practices. Develops skills in formatting and page layout using HTML and CSS. Emphasizes development for target audiences, extending web presence, and managing differences in web browsers and devices. Introduces incorporation of interactive elements using scripts, embedded media, and mash-ups. Examines Internet issues including ethics, accessibility, copyright, and security. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Develop websites using HTML and CSS.
- Create and modify HTML and CSS documents.
- Apply best practices for text and graphic content for web and mobile display.
- Format web page text and colors using CSS rules.
- Optimize graphics for web and mobile display.
- Link internal and external web pages.
- Utilize HTML container elements within web pages.
- Employ current W3C standards for HTML and CSS.
- Optimize web pages for search engines.
Demonstrate advanced HTML/CSS techniques to create websites.
- Create page layouts according to current W3C standards using HTML and CSS.
- Create context appropriate content and menus using HTML and CSS.
- Incorporate embedded video and interactive components.
- Incorporate web page scripting to incorporate interactive features and enhance design.
Implement extended web presence using social media and social networks.
- Develop social networking and/or social media accounts in accordance with website content and purpose.
- Communicate website branding visually within extended social networking and social media sites.
- Utilize social media and mash-ups to extend influence/web presence.
- Introduce application programming interfaces as a method to enhance interactive features and integrate social media.
Apply current standards.
- Develop sites supported in contexts that fit the target audience.
- Develop context appropriate layouts, menus, and site features.
- Implement code which renders properly across common browsers, resolutions, platforms, and devices.
- Implement code which complies with current accessibility standards.
- Demonstrate the ability to test websites for proper functionality and usability in multiple browsers, resolutions, platforms, and devices.
Employ proper site management techniques within client/server environments.
- Demonstrate understanding of proper site organization on client and server.
- Utilize proper naming conventions for files.
- Organize files and folders according to best practices.
- Demonstrate ability to upload and update website files.
- Understand fundamental Internet and website set-up concepts, including file transfer protocol, TCP/IP, uniform resource locators, domain name registration, hosting, and hosting applications.