Introduction to NetworkingCST 161
Prerequisite: CST 133W. May be taken concurrently with CST 133W with instructor permission. Introduces the architecture, structure, functions, components, and models of the Internet and computer networks. Introduces the principles of IP addressing and fundamentals of Ethernet concepts, media, and operations to provide a foundation for the curriculum. Builds simple LANs, performs basic configurations for routers and switches, and implements IP addressing schemes. (15-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of IP data networks.
- Recognize the purpose and functions of various network devices.
- Select the components required to meet a given network specification.
- Identify common applications and their impact on the network.
- Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP/IP models.
- Use the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect network devices to other devices and hosts in a LAN.
Implement a switched network.
- Determine the technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks.
- Identify basic switching concepts and the operations of switches.
- Configure and verify initial switch settings including remote access management.
- Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them.
Demonstrate an understanding of IPv4 and IPv6 addressing.
- Describe IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
- Explain the operation and necessity of using private and public IP addresses for IPv4 addressing.
- Determine the appropriate IPv6 addressing scheme to satisfy addressing requirements in LAN/WAN environment.
- Determine the appropriate IPv4 addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment.
- Define the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4.
Demonstrate understanding of IP routing technologies.
- Describe basic routing concepts.
- Configure and verify, utilizing the CLI, to set basic router settings.
- Configure and verify operation status of an Ethernet interface.
- Authenticate router configuration and network connectivity.