Advanced Process Operations LabCPI 270
Prerequisite: CPI 230, CPI 240, CPI 250 with a minimum grade of "C" or better, Concurrent enrollment with CPI 260 is recommended. Provides practical application of the skills required of an entry level chemical operator, including following Standard Operating Procedures, new process commissioning, equipment troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, Lock Out / Tag Out and Environmental, Health and Safety Compliance. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Commission a new chemical process for start up.
- Participate in project planning
- Develop and produce basic engineering diagrams, including PFD, P&ID and other process documentation.
- Perform risk analysis.
- Perform site audits, including those for safety and process performance.
- Write and produce standard operating procedures, supported by visual aids and training materials.
Operate chemical process equipment.
- Operate a simulated pilot plant in the process simulator.
- Maintain operating variables during simulated runs.
- Make, test and implement continuous improvement suggestions under guidance of faculty and student assistants.
Perform quality assurance of chemical process.
- Write quality control plan for proposed process.
- Take samples and run sample analytical tests on process and service fluids.
- Initiate and participate in a team-based problem solving exercise.
Conduct troubleshooting/maintenance of chemical process.
- Troubleshoot basic process equipment, including valves, pumps, heat exchangers and filters.
- Perform both single block and double bock Lock Out / Tag Outs, including the purging and preparation of equipment for maintenance.
- Write a preventive maintenance plan for one piece of equipment utilized in the student's pilot process.