Oral Communication for ManagersCOM 202W
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 3 and WRITING LEVEL 3.
Provides theoretical and practical understanding of organizational communication. Develops skill in interpersonal and small group communication. Examines multiple aspects of the career search process including interviewing. Offers training in oral presentations. Emphasizes practical skills within an organization. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Apply the basic elements of the communication process to an organizational setting.
- Define the elements of the communication process.
- Describe specific organizational elements of the communication process.
- Discuss ethical issues related to the communication process in organizations.
Use writing to promote learning all of the above Outcomes and Objectives.
Identify basic tenets of organizational models.
- Describe organizational models.
- Describe how communication occurs in each model.
- Discuss the advantages of each model.
- Discuss the disadvantages of each model.
- Demonstrate how to adapt as a communicator within specific organizational models.
Describe the importance of interpersonal relationships in organizations.
- Describe communication styles.
- Discuss the advantages of each style within different contexts.
- Discuss the disadvantages of each style within different contexts.
- Demonstrate skill in adapting communication style appropriately.
Demonstrate listening skills.
- Describe the importance of listening skills in organizational and personal settings.
- Describe effective listening behaviors.
- Describe poor listening behaviors.
- Model effective listening skills.
Demonstrate verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- Cite examples of each type of nonverbal communication in organizational settings.
- Describe how nonverbal messages differ from verbal messages in organizations.
- Analyze organizational situations involving nonverbal communication.
- Analyze language and clarity in developing instructions.
- Analyze verbal behaviors in communicating with others in organizational settings.
- Define sexual harassment and its impact on an organization.
Demonstrate skills in various types of interviews.
- Describe career research process.
- Prepare a resume.
- Describe types of professional interviews.
- Model the phases of the interviews.
- Practice interview scenarios.
- Assess interview skills.
Apply small group communication skills.
- Describe small group development.
- Describe maintenance roles in small groups.
- Describe task roles in small groups.
- Model the basic problem-solving steps in a group setting.
- Demonstrate conflict resolution as a member of a small group.
- Demonstrate leadership in a small group.
Demonstrate ability to deliver a researched oral presentation.
- Deliver various types of oral presentations.
- Differentiate between trait and situational communicator anxiety.
- Develop personalized techniques to overcome communicator anxiety.
- Analyze and adjust to specific audiences.
- Demonstrate outlining techniques in a research speech.
- Demonstrate use of verbal source citations.
- Develop and use visual supporting materials.
- Demonstrate delivery techniques in an oral presentation.