Correctional Institutions and FacilitiesCJ 135W
Prerequisite: READING LEVEL 1 or WRITING LEVEL 1. Provides an overview of correctional institutions and facilities. Covers topics including the purpose of prisons and correctional institutions, treatment and rehabilitating programs, management and organization of correctional institutions, custodial care, safety and security, and future concerns. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Examine and demonstrate an understanding of the basic structure and functions of various types of correctional institutions.
- Define the purpose of correctional institutions and prisons
- Define the goals of correctional institutions
- Differentiate between security levels: maximum, close, medium, minimum
- Differentiate and explain the differences between male and female institutions
- Explain the difference between prisoner classifications
- Describe the standards set by ACA related to classification
- List the rights' of inmates
Analyze and assess the various types of rehabilitation programs offered in correctional institutions.
- List the various types of work programs available to correctional institutions
- Assess the nature and purpose of institutional rehabilitation programs
- Discuss the various types of recreational programs utilized
- Explain the nature and function that recreational programs serve
- Describe the educational programs utilized in correctional institutions
Demonstrate an understanding of the role and function of various correctional personnel.
- Describe and differentiate between the roles and functions of the following correctional staff members: warden, assistant warden, deputy warden, deputy, R.U.M., and C.O.
- Describe the fiscal management process of correctional institutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of legal issues as they pertain to correctional employees
- Describe the inmate population in terms of the following demographic characteristics: offenses, education, race & ethnicity, social class, and gender.
Demonstrate an understanding of the nature and role of custodial care in correctional institutions.
- Define custodial care
- Differentiate between the following types of segregation: administrative segregation, protective custody, and solitary confinement.
- List the human concerns related to custodial care
- Explain the role of food services in institutions
- Describe the clothing requirements for institutions
- Explain the medication requirements for institutions
Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and procedures related to safety and security management in institutions.
- List the major concerns surrounding safety and security issues in institutions
- Describe safety and security procedures as they relate to records
- Describe the nature and role of contraband
- Describe the nature and purpose of shakedowns
- Describe the nature and process of prisoner movement and transporting of inmates
- Analyze and assess emergency control issues and procedures
- Synthesize all of the above into a comprehensive understanding of the problems and concerns of managing a housing unit
Perform writing tasks to promote learning of concepts.
- Document attainment of skills learned.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the subject.
Write effectively for a specific audience and purpose.
- Articulate important ideas.
- Select, organize, and present details to support a main idea.
- Employ conventions of written, edited, standard English (WESE) or the language of instruction.
- Use appropriate vocabulary for the audience and purpose.
Demonstrate the learning of concepts through writing.
- Analyze course content in written form.
- Explain the subject matter in a coherent writing style.