Child Care Program ManagementCD 210W
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: CD 117 and LWT165.
Provides the student with the capstone course for obtaining an Associate of Applied Arts Degree in Child Development. Details all facets of program management in a licensed facility. Introduces the student to developing techniques used in writing a parent program handbook, as well as a staff manual of policies and procedures. Instructor permission required to enroll in this course. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
The student will be able to meet at least the minimal requirements for opening and operating a child development facility according to the State of Michigan licensing rules and regulations.
- Organize a program management file using resources from previous courses and practicum teaching assignments.
- Write a personal philosophy and program developmental goals.
- Develop written policies as required by licensing regulations for: 1) programming, 2) discipline, 3) nutrition, and 4) admission.
The student will develop a parent information handbook with detailed program policies.
- Write detailed policies for parent information, including: .1) tuition, 2) contract, 3) schedules, 3) health policy, 4) emergencies, 5) accidents, 6) weather concerns, 7) a newsletter.
The student will develop a staff information manual of procedures.
- Write detailed policies for staff information, including: 1) job descriptions, 2) salary scale and benefits, 3) absences and vacation days, 4) promotion and job retention, 5) hiring and dismissal procedures.
The student will prepare a resume for the Delta College Placement Office.
The student will write effectively for a specific audience and purpose.
- Employ conventions of written, edited, standard English (WESE), or the language of instruction.
- Articulate important ideas.
- Demonstrate the ability to move between generalization and details.
- Use appropriate vocabulary for the audience and purpose.
Promote writing tasks to promote learning.
- Understand and analyze information in written form.
- Explain the subject matter in a coherent writing style.
- Evaluate the information.