Introductory Preschool PracticumCD 115W
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: CD 111, CD 112, CD 113.
Introduces the early childhood classroom, observing and participating with young children and their teachers. Requires approximately nine hours a week volunteering in an approved early childhood program during the main teaching portion of the day, for a total of 90 hours. (27-90)
Outcomes and Objectives
Function as a teacher's assistant in a developmentally appropriate program, while acquiring technical teaching skills from professional teachers.
- Complete nine hours a week of instructor approved fieldwork during the main portion of the teaching curriculum in an early childhood classroom.
- Perform as a cooperating member of an early childhood team.
- Record classroom activities and observations in a daily journal.
Relate theory to practice while participating in an early childhood program.
- Identify developmentally appropriate practices in early childhood classrooms serving preschool or kindergarten-aged children (2 1/2-5 years old).
- Apply goals, objectives and strategies for early childhood programs.
- Organize curriculum experiences around themes.
- Evaluate the quality of programs for young children.
- Share impressions and experiences in the classroom seminar.
Evaluate future career possibilities, and select a student teaching site.
- Use the introductory practicum to prepare to student teach in a publicly funded program, such as Head Start, Michigan School Readiness, or a parochial or public school kindergarten or pre-kindergarten. (Not as part of a day care center program.)
Write effectively for a specific audience and purpose.
- Employ conventions of written, edited, standard English (WESE), or the language of instruction.
- Articulate important ideas.
- Demonstrate the ability to move between generalization and details.
- Quote, paraphrase and summarize accurately.
Use writing tasks to promote learning.
- Understand and analyze information in written form.
- Explain the subject matter in a coherent writing style.
- Evaluate the information.