Introduction to the Educational ParaprofessionalCD 109W
Prerequisite: READING LEVEL 2 or WRITING LEVEL 2. Introduces the role of the educational paraprofessional in a classroom setting. Prepares for work with a diverse population while assisting in implementing curriculum, facilitating classroom activities, and working with special needs students. Identifies the skills necessary to work well with a team of teachers, administrators, and other professionals. Requires a service learning project. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Provide assistance to educational personnel as directed.
- Identify ways to support and work with children to complete classroom tasks.
- Implement developmentally appropriate practice.
- Take initiative in responding to classroom needs commensurate with level of preparation.
Examine different approaches to working with typical and atypical children in a classroom setting.
- Understand and implement a range of strategies to motivate children and enhance their learning.
- Critically examine and implement a variety of positive discipline strategies relevant to the child and situation.
Function as an effective team member.
- Utilize a service learning project in a classroom setting to enhance relationships and function as a cooperative member of a classroom team.
- Utilize effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills in team-building.
- Identify and avoid obstacles to effective communication and team-building.
- Demonstrate respect to all children and team members.
Complete reading and writing tasks to promote learning.
- Comprehend, analyze, and evaluate assigned readings.
- Reflect upon subject matter and communicate in a coherent writing style.