Introduction to Rapid PrototypingCAD 232
Prerequisite: CAD 226. Develops elements of creative thinking and problem solving used in the design process, including the techniques and methods used to construct prototypes and models. Introduces modern rapid prototyping techniques and provides opportunity to conceive, design and produce a product, using rapid prototyping methods and computer-aid design techniques. (15-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Explain the fundamentals of Rapid Prototyping and Additive Manufacturing.
- Distinguish between the different methods of rapid prototyping and additive manufacturing.
- Critique the 3D printer technology and most effective methods of prototyping and manufacturing.
- Distinguish between material options used in rapid prototyping
Demonstrate the ability to create parameterized three-dimensional models.
- Build 3D parametric models appropriate for rapid prototyping.
- Determine the most appropriate model construction techniques.
- Evaluate appropriate model settings.
- Interpret the limitations on model construction due to specific Rapid Prototype processes.
Demonstrate the ability to produce a rapid prototype model.
- Convert 3D solid model to a stereo lithography file and other appropriate file type(s).
- Distinguish between individual machine settings to software specific 3D printer technology.
Demonstrate the ability to produce a rapid prototype.
- Plan and produce a successful 3D model.
Demonstrate how to effectively operate 3D printer technology.
- Critique the 3D printer technology and accompanying software interface.
- Evaluation the appropriate 3D printer settings to produce quality prototypes
- Employ the 3D printer start-up and shut-down procedures for selected 3D printer(s).
- Apply safety procedures and protocols to individual 3D printer(s).