Engine Repair Level 2AUTO 151
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: AUTO 101 and AUTO 149.
Practices the service and repair of gasoline internal combustion engines. Practices NATEF tasks to AST (Automotive Service Technology) level related to gasoline engines. Note: Student must complete necessary paperwork for state of Michigan Automotive Repair Training Permit. (15-25)
Outcomes and Objectives
Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to general Engine Repair as listed below.
- Complete work order to include customer information, vehicle identifying information, customer concern, related service history, cause, and correction.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information, such as internal engine operation, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins.
- Verify operation of the instrument panel engine warning indicators.
- Inspect engine assembly for fuel, oil, coolant, and other leaks; determine necessary action
- Install engine covers using gaskets, seals, and sealers as required.
- Remove and replace timing belt; verify correct camshaft timing
- Perform common fastener and thread repair, to include: remove broken bolt, restore internal and external threads, and repair internal threads with thread insert.
- Inspect, remove and replace engine mounts.
- Identify hybrid vehicle internal combustion engine service precautions.
Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Cylinder Head and Valve Trains as listed below.
- Remove cylinder head; inspect gasket condition; install cylinder head and gasket; tighten according to manufacturer’s specifications and procedures.
- Clean and visually inspect a cylinder head for cracks; check gasket surface areas for warpage and surface finish; check passage condition.
- Inspect pushrods, rocker arms, rocker arm pivots and shafts for wear, bending, cracks, looseness, and blocked oil passages (orifices); determine necessary action.
- Adjust valves (mechanical or hydraulic lifters).
- Inspect and replace camshaft and drive belt/chain; includes checking drive gear wear and backlash, end play, sprocket and chain wear, overhead cam drive sprocket(s), drive belt(s), belt tension, tensioners, camshaft reluctor ring/tone-wheel, and valve timing components; verify correct camshaft timing.
- Establish camshaft position sensor indexing.
Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Engine Block Assembly as listed below.
- Remove, inspect, or replace crankshaft vibration damper (harmonic balancer).
Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Lubrication and Cooling Systems as listed below.
- Perform cooling system pressure and dye tests to identify leaks; check coolant condition and level; inspect and test radiator, pressure cap, coolant recovery tank, and heater core; determine necessary action.
- Identify causes of engine overheating
- Inspect, replace, and adjust drive belts, tensioners, and pulleys; check pulley and belt alignment.
- Inspect and test coolant; drain and recover coolant; flush and refill cooling system with recommended coolant; bleed air as required.
- Inspect, remove, and replace water pump.
- Remove and replace radiator.
- Remove, inspect, and replace thermostat and gasket/seal.
- Inspect and test fan(s) (electrical or mechanical), fan clutch, fan shroud, and air dams.
- Perform oil pressure tests; determine necessary action.
- Perform engine oil and filter change.
- Inspect auxiliary coolers; determine necessary action.
- Inspect, test, and replace oil temperature and pressure switches and sensors.