Engine Performance Level 1ASEP 108
Introduces basic fuel, emissions and electronic control of today’s modern vehicles. Practices NATEF tasks to MLR (maintenance and light repair) level related to engine performance systems. Requires meeting all related GM ASEP training requirements. (45-27)
Outcomes and Objectives
Complete general Engine Performance related Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins.
- Perform engine absolute (vacuum/boost) manifold pressure tests; determine necessary action
- Perform cylinder power balance test; determine necessary action.
- Perform cylinder cranking and running compression tests; determine necessary action.
- Perform cylinder leakage test; determine necessary action.
- Verify engine operating temperature.
- Remove and replace spark plugs; inspect secondary ignition components for wear and damage.
Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Computerized Engine Controls as listed below.
- Retrieve and record diagnostic trouble codes, OBD monitor status, and freeze frame data; clear codes when applicable.
- Describe the importance of operating all OBDII monitors for repair verification.
Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Fuel, Air Induction, and Exhaust Systems as listed below.
- Replace fuel filter(s).
- Inspect, service, or replace air filters, filter housings, and intake duct work.
- Inspect integrity of the exhaust manifold, exhaust pipes, muffler(s), catalytic converter(s), resonator(s), tail pipe(s), and heat shields; determine necessary action.
- Inspect condition of exhaust system hangers, brackets, clamps, and heat shields; repair or replace as needed.
- Check and refill diesel exhaust fluid (DEF).
Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Emissions Control Systems as listed below.
- Inspect, test, and service positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) filter/breather cap, valve, tubes, orifices, and hoses; perform necessary action.