Automatic Transmission Level 1ASEP 102
Introduces inspection and fluid testing of many automatic transmissions. Practices NATEF tasks to MLR (maintenance and light repair) level related to automatic transmissions. Requires meeting all related GM ASEP training requirements. (45-18)
Outcomes and Objectives
Complete general Automotive Transmission and Transaxle Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information, fluid type, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins.
- Check fluid level in a transmission or a transaxle equipped with a dip-stick
- Check fluid level in a transmission or a transaxle not equipped with a dip-stick.
- Check transmission fluid condition; check for leaks.
Complete In-Vehicle Transmission/Transaxle NATEF tasks:
- Inspect, adjust, and replace external manual valve shift linkage, transmission range sensor/switch, and park/neutral position switch.
- Inspect for leakage at external seals, gaskets, and bushings.
- Inspect power train mounts.
- Drain and replace fluid and filter(s).
Complete Off-Vehicle Transmission and Transaxle NATEF tasks:
- Describe the operational characteristics of a continuously variable transmission (CVT).
- Describe the operational characteristics of a hybrid vehicle drive train.