Introduction to CADARC 114
Prerequisite: CST 103 recommended or basic knowledge of the Windows Operating System. Introduces 2D and 3D CAD drawing, including basic drawing and editing commands. Studies CAD systems interface, hardware, a current operating system, file management techniques, creating templates, creating and modifying geometry, dimensions and text styles, block and external reference insertion, attributes and creating tables, model space/paper space layouts, rendering and plotting techniques. Credit may earned in only one of the following: ARC 114, CAD 114, or SKCA 114. (45-15)
Outcomes and Objectives
Use reading and writing skills to gather information from technical texts.
- Complete assignments by gathering information from reading.
- Use the index of CAD texts to access information regarding commands and processes.
- Create a notebook as an essential reference.
- Record sufficient notes from which to work.
Demonstrate productive interaction with others.
- Practice citizenship by respecting each person's drawing file as their personal property.
- Ask and respond to questions during drawing demonstrations.
- Demonstrate teamwork skills.
- Use effective listening skills during classroom demonstrations.
Use a computer, a current operating system and word processing software.
- Start and exit software as required.
- Use disk directories and change directory paths to access files and programs.
- Use Save AS and name files as prescribed.
- Perform file management skills such as copying, pasting, and deleting files as prescribed.
- Identify and properly use CAD file extensions.
- Use a word processing program for all written assignments.
Demonstrate mastery of CAD program basics.
- Identify the features of the system interface.
- Differentiate between methods of entering commands and determine which method is most efficient for the purpose.
- Create absolute, relative and polar coordinate methods correctly.
- Demonstrate several object selection methods.
Manipulate geometry using CAD drawing aids.
- Use Zoom. Panning and Viewing tools for navigation.
- Apply the proper Osnap features to drawing situations for accurate drawing.
- Use Undo, Redo and Regenerate drawing when necessary.
- Distinguish and change properties efficiently.
- Utilize and control accuracy enhancement tools such as Ortho, Grid, Snap and Osnap.
- Use Object Tracking and Polar tools to enhance efficiency.
Use basic construction and modification commands of a CAD program in the accurate completion of 2D CAD drawings.
- Use drawing commands to effectively create lines, circles, arcs, polylines and polygons,
- Modify existing geometry using erase, copy, mirror, offset, move, trim extend, fillet, array, stretch, scale and break commands.
- Apply and modify hatching fills and patterns.
- Create and insert Blocks.
- Insert ready-made blocks from the CAD program and from online sources.
- Use Wblock, Copy and Paste, and External References to move drawings and parts of drawings.
- Create table styles and insert information.
- Add attributes to blocks and extract data to tables.
Develop and use a drawing prototype template.
- Set the appropriate drawing Units and Limits.
- Create Text using the prescribed syle and size.
- Creat appropriate layers assigning colors, linetypes and lineweights as necessary.
- Modify Dimension and Leader variables to create a dimension style.
Apply complete and orderly dimensions and text to CAD drawings.
- Use associative dimensioning to apply linear, radial, diameter, aligned and angular dimensions.
- Use dimenstion according to prescribed dimensioning conventions.
- Apply text and use text editing tools.
Use the 3D Workspace to create solid models.
- Analyze information about coordinates in 3D space in the completion of 3D objects.
- Create models using 3D primitive shapes, region, extrude and press-pull tools.
- Use Boolean editing tools to modify 3D geometry.
- Use View Manager, navigation tools and visual style tools to create views.
- Render views to a file.
Demonstrate appropriate printing techniques.
- Set up printing parameters for printing from Model Space.
- Access and configure Layout mode for printing from Paper Space.
- Create, scale and align viewports in Layout mode.
- Determine the proper viewports for a multi-view drawing.