Career Professional Development IACE 101W
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: Must be employed in a major-related position, and have completed the program application process in the Office of Academic Career Experience (Cooperative Education) and Service Learning.
Introduces planning and goal setting. Provides opportunities for team building. Practices skills essential in the workplace. Introduces employment portfolio to manage academic and career information. Evaluates the student in a program-related, supervised worksite. (30-180)
Outcomes and Objectives
Develop Academic Career Experience course plan and set goals.
- Establish workplace and educational goals.
- Demonstrate good attendance and punctuality.
Demonstrate an understanding of professional communication in the workplace.
- Identify professional workplace communication.
- Practice effective communication in the workplace.
Begin development of an employment portfolio.
- Write a cover letter.
- Revise resume.
Demonstrate confidence in presenting a professional image.
- Display appropriate dress and grooming for the respective worksite.
- Practice presenting professional credentials.
- Reflects through writing the experiences that build confidence and exemplify personal discovery.
Demonstrate favorable work ethics.
- Analyze personal choices and responsibilities as they pertain to the workplace.
- Uphold organizational image in and out of the workplace setting.
Cooperate within a team.
- Analyze prior teamwork experience.
- Infer meaning and course of action based on prior experience.
- Apply team-building skills to situations in the workplace.
- Assume the role of team member and contribute to team goals.
Perform writing tasks to promote learning of concepts.
- Document attainment of skills learned.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the subject.
Manage stress through structured planning.
- Practice prioritizing workload.
- Arrange tasks according to priority rank.
- Divide tasks into smaller components and track progress of each component.
- Align work, educational and personal schedules to effectively meet goals.
- Track assignments, projects and job tasks in order to meet deadlines.
Integrate into the organizational culture.
- Exemplify organizational values.
- Participate in organizational mission.
- Align workplace behaviors with organizational policies and procedures.
Demonstrate an understanding of essential skills for success in chosen career.
- Identify essential skills necessary for career success.
- Compare one's own soft skills with requirements of job objective(s).