Delta College logoDelta College: Serving Bay, Midland, and Saginaw counties since 1961

LifeLong Learning

Michigan 60 Hour
Residential Building Pre-Licensure


Are you interested in obtaining your State of Michigan Builders License in order to properly pull permits, take on bigger projects and increase your earning potential? This four week, 60 hour course will provide you with all the information you need to know to prepare for the Michigan Residential Builders License Examination, as well as techniques for running a successful business. In this course you’ll be given a construction trades overview and learn about current Michigan residential code, MIOSHA construction safety standards, design and building science, business management, contracts, lead paint, liability, risk and project management, estimating, job costing, hours and scheduling, and marketing and sales.

This course is approved by the State of Michigan and satisfies the 60 hour pre-license course requirement. This is an ideal class if you are interested in becoming a licensed contractor or want to learn more about the industry.


Schedule & Cost

Dates: March 14 - April 20, 2017 (Skip 4/15)
Time: Tuesdays & Thursdays; 5:30pm- 9:30pm*
           Saturdays; 8am - 4pm*
Location: Delta College Main Campus

Course Number: CVB-1012
Cost: $799

*Class times may vary depending on daily topic. Please note that 100% attendance is required. Partial credit can not be awarded for this course.

Course Topics

  • Construction Trades Overview (8.0) Hours
  • Current Michigan Residential Code (12.0 Hours)
  • MIOSHA Construction Safety Standards (6.0 Hours)
  • Design & Building Science (6.0 Hours)
  • Business Management (3.0 Hours)
  • Contracts (2.0 Hours)
  • Lead Paint (1.0 Hour)
  • Liability (2.0 Hours)
  • Risk Management (2.0 Hours)
  • Project Management (3.0 Hours)
  • Estimating (3.0 Hours)
  • Job Costing (3.0 Hours)
  • Hours & Scheduling (3.0 Hours)
  • Marketing & Sales (6.0 Hours)

How to obtain your Builders License Application

After an applicant has completed the 60 hour pre-licensure education requirement, he or she may obtain an Individual Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor License Application on the Builders website at, under "Forms & Publications". The license application must be completed and submitted with the application fee, and a completed Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor Pre-licensure Education Reporting Form. A copy of the official certificate(s) of completion given to you by the course provider must be attached to the pre-licensure education reporting form for each course you have completed. The certificate(s) must document 60 hours of approved pre-licensure courses. A course will not be accepted without the certificate(s) attached. The pre-licensure reporting form is also available on the Builders website. Once the Builders Unit receives an application, it will be reviewed to ensure that the applicant meets all licensing requirements.

The requirements for licensure

  • Successfully complete 60 hours of approved prelicensure education
  • Submit an Individual Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor License Application and the application fee, and copies of the official certificate(s) of completion given by the course provider for each course completed
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be of good moral character
  • Successfully complete the Residential Builder or Maintenance & Alteration Contractor examination once all other requirements are met


An applicant must meet all requirements for licensure before receiving approval by the Department to take the examination that is required to obtain a Residential Builder or Maintenance & Alteration Contractor license. Once the applicant receives an authorization to test, he or she may contact PSI Services LLC, the exam provider, at 1-800-733-9267, or go to the website at, to register for the examination. After the applicant passes both portions of the examination, a license will be issued as an Individual Residential Builder or Individual Maintenance & Alteration Contractor. The individual license will allow an individual to perform work as a sole proprietor, under their personal name or an assumed name from their County Clerk's Office. The individual license may NOT be used for a corporation, limited liability company or partnership. If you are conducting business as a corporation, limited liability company, or partnership, you must also apply for a second license which will be for the company. You may obtain a Corporation, Limited Liability Company, or Partnership Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor License Application on the Builders website at, under "Forms & Publications" or contact the Builders Unit at (517) 241-9288.


Textbooks are required for this course for this course. You may purchase your book through the Delta College Bookstore:

Online:Order your book online at
By Phone: You can place your textbook order by phone 989-686-9030
In Person: Purchase textbooks in person on main campus in the bookstore


We can help! Call us at (989) 686-9444 or send us an email at

Delta College Seal

1961 Delta Road, University Center MI 48710 | 989-686-9000 |
Delta College is an Equal Opportunity Organization, committed to excellence through inclusiveness and diversity.
Copyright ©