Delta College offers a 160 hour Fast Start training program in Advanced Manufacturing to meet the needs of Great Lakes Bay Region employers. We have worked very closely with regional employers who are hiring new employees to develop this program. This program will provide the training for you to qualify for these jobs. Minimum starting pay rates (depending on employer) are $12 per hour.
Advanced manufacturers may work with:
- assembly operations
- parts selection
- alignment and assembly according to specifications
- packaging operations set-up
- manual break-down of pallets of material
- arranging/stacking/repackaging materials
- placing materials into containers and shipping cartons
- packaging warehouse logistics
- operating a fork lift truck
- moving materials within/to and from warehouses
- manually stacking, repackaging, stretch wrapping and moving boxes and pallets
Employers are looking for individuals that meet the following criteria (you must meet all of these criteria for employment):
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Completion of the Delta College Advanced Manufacturing Fast Start Program is preferred.
- 1 year of previous work experience in mechanical parts assembly and troubleshooting is preferred.
- Must be able to work all shifts including weekends: 7:00 am-3:00 pm; 3:00 pm-11:00 pm; and 11:00 pm-7:00 am.
- Previous experience working in collaborative team environment is preferred.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to follow specific instructions.
- Must have previous successful experience following safety protocol.
- Must be able to meet physical requirements of job including, but not limited to: the ability to lift 50 pounds, stand for long periods of time, bend, push/pull, and climb stairs and ladders rated for 300 lbs, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must successfully complete a background check (if you have a felony or misdemeanor you must declare the situation at the time of application to Nexteer; other employers may not allow felonies or multiple misdemeanors), a drug screen and a physical capabilities test.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications
There will be up to 16 seats available. Program slots will be offered to the applicants who best meet the preferred candidate qualifications listed below (use this as your application checklist):
1. ACT WorkKeys® Technical Skills Assessments
You are required to provide a copy of your WorkKeys® scores with your application.
The following four assessments are required:
Applied Mathematics - Minimum Level 4 required (level 5 preferred).
Reading for Information - Minimum Level 4 required (level 5 preferred).
Locating Information - Minimum Level 4 required.
Teamwork - Minimum Level 4 required.
WorkKeys® can be taken at Michigan Works! (At no cost if you are a program participant), or through Delta College LifeLong Learning Testing Services for a fee of $80. Please call 989-686-9444 or email email@example.com to schedule your WorkKeys® at Delta College.
2. Work Experience
Minimum of 1 year of work experience in mechanical parts assembly and troubleshooting is preferred.
A strong track record of safety is required.
Provide a copy of your resume showing how you meet employer’s criteria (listed above).
Provide a copy of your DD214 (if veteran).
3. Educational Experience
A high school diploma or GED is required. College courses, training certifications, or an associate degree is preferred in a technical field from an accredited college. Please provide a copy of your highest education achieved (high school diploma, GED, associate degree, or other) and any training certifications that you think are relevant.
- Have you attended classes at Delta College?
(If so, please provide either your student number or the last four digits of your Social Security number. We will obtain your Delta College transcript)
- Provide a copy of your transcripts from other colleges (student copy is acceptable).
- Provide a copy of your high school transcript, diploma, or GED (if you have not attended college).
- Provide information on military training (if not on DD214).
- Provide a copy of your journeyman’s card (if applicable).
- Provide a copy of relevant training certifications (if applicable).
Financial Support: may be available to those who qualify through Michigan Works! Please visit your local Michigan Works! office as soon as possible. Pell grants and federal student loans are not available for this program.
Advanced Manufacturing 3 Fast Start Schedule
Advanced Manufacturing 3 will run March 11 to April 5, 2013. The class schedule may vary, but it is planned Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm. Individuals successfully completing the program will have the qualifications to interview for jobs upon program completion.
The application deadline is Thursday, February 28, 2013 by 4pm. First preference will be given to those who apply by the deadline, but applications will be accepted until the class is filled. Please complete the Advanced Manufacturing Fast Start Application (PDF) and submit to:
Delta College, B-144
1961 Delta Road University Center, MI 48710