RN-LPN Nurse Refresher
The Delta College Registered Nurse (RN) and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Refresher Course is geared toward the nurse who desires to return to nursing after an absence for an extended period of time, for nurses who would like to transition back into acute care after working in other areas of nursing, for nurses who would like a good review for NCLEX-RN or LPN, and for nurses needing to meet Michigan Board of Nursing requirements.
The goal of the Nurse Refresher Course is to update the knowledge and skill base; as well as increase the confidence of nurses as they return to clinical practice or the acute care setting. The 12 week RN/LPN Nurse Refresher program is approved by the State of Michigan Board of Nursing and is listed as number one on Michigan’s HOT 50 Jobs List. This course is delivered predominantly online; with four scheduled simulated labs and 60 hours of clinical externship experience. Please see below for specific program details and requirements.
80% of our graduates have been hired with $23.92 average starting wages.
This employment data is based on 2011 Fall student feedback.
RN & LPN Nursing positions are available NOW in your community!
- Visit Delta College LifeLong Learning on Facebook for employment opportunity information. Also, make sure to visit the employment postings on area hospital websites for updates.
- The Licensed Practical and Registered Nurse Refresher program is published on the Career Education Consumer Report (CECR) for Individual Training Account eligibility. This report is a listing of courses in high demand fields that are eligibly for a number of types of funding. Please print and reference this page when visiting your local Michigan Works office.
This course is set up in a blended format with the following components:
- 20 hours of Simulated labs
- 60 hours clinical practice
- Independent on-line study (40 hours minimum)
- Textbook readings and exercises
- Online peer discussion boards
- Multiple tests including pre/post testing
- 25 Continuing Education Units, including 1 pain management CE
1. Documentation and/or proof of current active Michigan Registered or Practical Nurse license and proof of RN or LPN Nursing Program completion
LifeLong Learning staff will verify the license is “active” by referencing the State of Michigan online license verification system: http://www7.dleg.state.mi.us/free/ . If there is an infraction upon your license you must provide Michigan Board of Nursing approval documentation to the LifeLong Learning department prior to registration. Depending on Michigan Board of Nursing reinstatement guidelines; infractions will be handled on a case-by-case basis in determination of acceptance into the program. The RN-LPN Nurse Refresher program is both theory and clinical based. If your reinstatement guidelines order you to take the theory and clinical portions separately, you are not eligible for this program.
2. Admission to Delta College
Students must go through Admission to Delta College to access the course management software. There are several ways to apply to Delta College. For an admissions application, office hours and other important information please contact the Admissions Office.
1. You may apply online.
2. You may also apply in person within the Admissions Office and pick-up the application. Your application will be processed while you are at the college and you will receive your student number.
3. Clinical Requirements
LPN/RN Nurse Refresher Student Clinical Requirements- PDF
Please read this information carefully as the clinical requirements are mandatory for RN/LPN Nurse Refresher students and must be reviewed and be completed prior to the class start date.
As a clinical student, it is your responsibility to maintain current health records while in a health care program. For admission to all clinical agencies, students must have a copy of all enclosed documents on file in the LifeLong Learning Office. Give all completed forms to your instructor on the first day of class, students who do not have required documentation will not be allowed at the clinical site.
Personal Documentation & Health Requirements
1. Physical Examination – “Delta College Physical Exam Form” – take to your personal physician to complete and give to your instructor on the first day of class. It is suggested that you call your physician immediately as it may take 4-6 weeks to make an appointment.
3. Hepatitis B Vaccine – “Hepatitis B Acknowledgment/ Release Form”
4. Signed “Health & Wellness Waiver and Release Form”
5. Signed “Release for Training and Participation Form”
6. Documentation of Negative TB Skin Test – a positive skin test requires annual documentation by a physician or by a chest x-ray every two years.
7. Documentation of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunization documentation unless you were born before 1957 – you may request a rubella titer drawn by your physician if no documentation is present.
8. Documentation of Td (tetanus) immunization documentation, current within 10 years
9. CPR Card (Red Cross -CPR for the Professional Rescuer or American Heart Association –Health Care Provider)
Current Criminal History
In accordance with Public Act 303 of 2002, section 20173; if your criminal history includes an instance that will prohibit you from participating as a student in the clinical experience, you will be dropped from the program and no refund will be given. If your background includes criminal history which would prohibit you from working in a health care facility, you are advised to drop the program prior to the first day of class.
The State of Michigan has mandated that we do LiveScan fingerprinting. We do not accept fingerprinting from other agencies. The cost to students for LiveScan is $75.00. Students must go to the Delta College Bookstore and tell them you are there to pay for fingerprinting for the Nurse Refresher Program. The Bookstore will then give you a receipt/voucher for payment. – Please make checks payable to Delta College.
You must schedule your fingerprinting with the Public Safety Office in N102. Simply present your completed Delta College LiveScan Fingerprint Request Form and your receipt/voucher (obtained from the Bookstore) to the Public Safety Officer, and then schedule your fingerprinting appointment.
10. Signed “Delta College Live Scan Fingerprint Request Form”
Delta College ID card
Prior to the 1st day of class you will need to get a Delta College student ID card, available in the Public Safety Office in the N-wing. Items to bring with you are a valid picture id along with your printed statement of registration in the Nurse Refresher program. This service is free of charge and will be used to create clinical badges.
Please complete the attached materials and bring them with you on your first day of class, if there is any missing documentation you will not be allowed on the clinical site. Any questions regarding these health forms will be addressed by your instructor at that time. If you have any additional questions, please call the Delta College LifeLong Learning Department at 989-686-9444.
Textbooks are required for this course. You may purchase your book through the Delta College Bookstore:
Online: Order your book online at www.bookstore.delta.edu
By Phone: You can place your textbook order by phone 989-686-9030
In Person: Purchase textbooks in person on main campus in the bookstore
Required texts for the RN:
1. Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook Med Surge Nursing, Smeltzer - (2 Volumes)
2. Drug Guide for Nurses, Deglin/Davis
Required texts for the LPN:
1. Textbook of Basic Nursing, Rosdahl/Kowalski
2. Drug Guide for Nurses, Deglin/Davis
Please contact the Delta College Bookstore for required editions.
Cost & Schedule
Course Number: CHR-2501
Overall Dates: 1/28/14 - 4/25/14
Lab Dates: 1/29/14; Wednesday; 8am - 12:30pm
2/19/14; Wednesday; 8am - 12:30pm
3/19/14; Wednesday; 8am - 12:30pm
3/28/14; Friday; 8am - 4:30pm
Location: Delta College Main Campus
Clinical: 60 clinical hours completed between 4/7/14 - 4/25/14
Location: Bay City, Saginaw, Midland
Wendy Szafranski, Instructor
Delta College, University Center, Michigan
Wendy Szafranski is a nursing instructor for the RN program at Delta College. She has over 18 years experience as a registered nurse in cardiology and critical care. She has a BSN from Michigan State University and a MSN in nursing education from Saginaw Valley State University. Wendy is certified by the American Association of Critical Care Nurses and has a sub-specialty in cardiac medical nursing. She has been teaching clinical nursing for over 14 years and has been full time faculty at Delta College since 2008.
We can help! Call us at (989) 686-9444 or send us an email at email@example.com.
LifeLong Learning Personnel has made every reasonable effort to determine that everything stated in this guide was accurate at the time it was published. Programs and Testing Services offered and related fees, with other matters contained therein, are subject to change or cancellation without notice by Delta College LifeLong Learning for reasons related to student enrollment, or for any reason, at the discretion of the college. Delta College LifeLong Learning reserves the right to cancel class and test sessions.