Delta College logoDelta College: Serving Bay, Midland, and Saginaw counties since 1961

Financial Aid Office

Frequently Asked Questions


Your Financial Aid Award Letter


  • ·How did Delta College determine how much money my family can contribute each year?

    When students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Federal Processor uses a formula that determines the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is an estimate of the family’s ability to pay for post-secondary education based on this federal methodology.

  • What types of aid can students get at Delta College?

    Delta College awards students with a combination of the following types of awards, based on merit and/or financial need:  scholarships, grants, and work-study.  Loan consideration requires an additional on-line form to complete and is not automatically awarded.

  • What is the difference between a scholarship and a grant?

    Both scholarships and grants are considered to be Gift Aid.  Gift Aid is free educational funds that under most circumstances need not be repaid.  Scholarships are awards based on the student’s achievement (academic, talent, athletic.)  Grants are awards based on financial need as determined by completing the FAFSA.

  • What do I do with my Financial Aid Award Letter?

    Read your award communication and keep a copy for your records.  The Financial Aid Award Letter lists the Cost of Attendance (COA) at Delta College.  Financial need is determined by subtracting the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the COA.  The amount of financial aid you have been awarded by Delta College is listed in the Financial Aid Package section of the award letter.

  • How do I know when I am awarded Financial Aid?

    An email award notice is sent to your MyDelta email account and you will see in your MyDelta Account under “Financial Aid Award Letter”, year specific, your financial aid award type and amount.

  • How can I check the status of my Financial Aid?

    The Financial Aid Office(FAO) will send you email communication to your MyDelta email account.  The first email, is a notification that we have received your FAFSA results and to wait for a decision.  The next email is either an award, denial or additional information is required to make an award decision.  If additional information is required, you will be able to login to your student MyDelta account and go to the Communication section, “My Documents”.  You will be able to view any additional required documentation needed in order for the FAO to make a financial aid award decision.


  • How do I apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Student Loan?

    Delta College has an on-line Direct Stafford Loan Request Form in your MyDelta Account that the student would need to complete, once they have completed the FAFSA Application, Entrance Loan Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN).


  •  What is a Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

    It is a single promissory note that may be used for all of a borrower’s Federal Direct Stafford Subsidized and Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loans. The MPN does not include a specific loan amount since it may serve as the promissory note for future loans. Loans for subsequent years will not usually require a new promissory note as long as the borrower is at the same school. The borrower is agreeing when he or she signs the MPN to repay the loan servicer all loans made to the borrower under the terms of the MPN. It is important for the borrower to read all of the information on the MPN before signing it.

  • What is a Disclosure Statement?

    The Disclosure Statement is sent to the borrower (student and/or parent) from the Direct Loan Program. It gives the borrower specific information about loan types (subsidized and unsubsidized (student loans) or Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) [parent loan]), amounts and anticipated disbursement dates for each new loan that he or she borrows. It is mailed to the borrower's permanent address. The borrower should keep the disclosure statement for his or her records since this provides the information on the individual loans that are included in the Master Promissory Note.

  • What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized student loan?

    If the student’s loans are subsidized, the federal government pays the interest for the student while the student’s enrolled at least half-time, during the grace period and any deferments. If the student’s loans are unsubsidized the student is responsible for the interest during school, the student’s grace period and any deferments.

    NOTE:  FOR NEW BORROWERS AS OF JULY 1, 2013:  Students will be allowed to receive subsidized loans up to 150% of the time frame permitted for their program of study.  If you exceed this limit you will no longer be eligible for subsidized loans and your interest will start accruing.  For more information visit:

  • If a student has an unsubsidized loan must he or she pay the interest while in school?

    The student has the choice of paying the interest quarterly or allowing the loan servicer to add the interest to the loan (capitalization).

  • If my parents borrow the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), when do they start repaying the loan?

    The first payment is due within 60 days of the second disbursement. The first payment will be due in February or March for most of our PLUS borrowers

  • Is there a Master Promissory Note for PLUS Loans?

    Yes. Your parent may complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) on-line at: by using your Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN) and your parent's PIN. If you do not have a PIN, you and/or your parent can obtain one at: .

  • What happens if the PLUS Loan is denied?

    Your parents will receive notification from the Direct Loan Origination Center of a credit denial. This letter will outline the options available. The Financial Aid Office will also notify your parents. Should they not wish to pursue any of the options outlined and want you to take out an unsubsidized loan both you and your parents need to complete the on-line loan modification form. We will then process a loan in the student’s name.

  • My parents don’t want to borrow a PLUS Loan. They think all loans should be in the student’s name. How can we do this?

    If your parents are willing to co-sign a loan for you, there are alternative loans that may be borrowed by the student through private lenders.

  • How are loan proceeds paid to the student?

    Federal Direct Stafford Subsidized, Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized and Federal Direct PLUS Loans are paid directly to student accounts in two disbursements per semester. Any excess funds will be sent to the student.

  • Is there anything I must do before the loan proceeds are applied to my account?

    Yes. If you do not have a prior Master Promissory Note (MPN) on file with the Direct Loan Program you must complete a (MPN) on-line at: and you must complete Entrance Counseling. Entrance Loan Counseling can be completed on-line at: Once this has been done and you meet all other eligibility requirements the loan(s) will be applied to your student account.

How to apply for Financial Aid

  • What forms are needed to apply for financial aid?

    For all types of federal, state and most institutional student aid, students must complete the on-line Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA each year electronically at:

  • When do I apply for financial aid?

    Students must apply for financial aid every year. The FAFSA on the Web (FOTW) or Renewal FAFSA on the Web should be completed as quickly as possible after January 1 each year. Some funding through the State requires the FAFSA to be submitted by March 1.  Financial aid awards are based on a combination of funds available and financial need.

  • What types of financial aid are covered by this application?

    Federal Aid:
    Federal Pell Grants
    Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
    Federal Direct Student Loan Program
    Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program
    Federal Work Study
    State Aid:
    Michigan Competitive Scholarship

  • What other sources of aid are available?

    There are many local, state and national organizations that grant scholarship funds. A comprehensive free scholarship search service is available on-line. The Financial Aid Information Page is accessible on-line at: . Students should click on for an individualized scholarship search. For more information regarding scholarships visit:

  • How do I apply for a Federal Pell Grant?

    When you complete the FAFSA, you are automatically considered for a Federal Pell Grant.

  • How do you get a student loan?

    Delta has a separate on-line loan request form that students must complete for loan consideration, in addition to FAFSA completion.  More loan information can be found at

  • What do I do with the Student Aid Report (SAR) that I received?

    The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a summary of the information you provided on the FAFSA. SARs are sent electronically to the email address you provided on the FAFSA. Review the SAR and make corrections on-line. If you are correcting parent data, as well as student data, both you and your parent must use both PINs to electronically sign the SAR. If you did not provide an email address, a paper SAR is mailed to you. Read the comments and review the data presented on the SAR to determine that the information is accurate. Make any corrections necessary on the SAR and sign and return it to the Central Processing Service (CPS). Corrected information will automatically be sent to all schools listed on the SAR. If all the information is correct, keep the SAR with your other important financial aid documents for your records.

  • Where do I go to check how much Federal Pell Grant I have used during my lifetime and how much in student loan dollars I have borrowed?

    To view your percentage of Federal Pell Grant dollars used at all colleges and universities and to see your loan history and accumulated loan debt go to

  • My SAR said I was selected for verification. What is it and what do I need to do?

    Verification is a process of review that determines the accuracy of the information submitted by the student and family on the FAFSA and that resolves conflicting data resulting from changes made by the student and family on the SAR. If you are selected for verification by the Federal Government, Delta College will notify you by email of documentation that you will need to submit to the Financial Aid Office for a financial aid award determination. This request may include W-2 forms, parent and student tax return transcripts and other records, as required. Please wait until you receive a request from Delta before submitting your documentation.

  • If my parents are separated or divorced, do they both have to contribute to my education?

    When completing the FAFSA, financial information for the custodial parent and current spouse must be reported. The non-custodial parent is not required to report information. If the student is receiving money from the non-custodial parent for educational expenses, the student must also report that amount on the FAFSA. NOTE: NEW for 2014-2015 school year:  parents residing together regardless of marital status or gender will report combined income.

  • How does having more than one student in the family attending college impact financial aid eligibility?

    Families with two or more students attending college have the parent contribution (PC) adjusted by the number of students who will be enrolled at least half time in a certificate or degree granting program for at least one semester. For example, in a family with a PC of $3000, the contribution per student would be as follows: 1 student = $3000; 2 students = $1500 per student; 3 students = $1000 per student.

  • How do I become an independent student for federal aid purposes?

    You will be treated as an independent student if you can answer “YES” to one of the following questions: Are you 24 years old? Will you be working on a graduate degree (beyond the bachelor degree level)? Are you married as of the date of your application? Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you OR Do you have dependents (other than children and/or spouse) that live with you and receive more than half of their support from you? Are you an orphan or ward of the court or were you a ward of the court until age 18? Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces? Are you homeless as determined by your high school or a director of a homeless shelter?

General Eligibility


  • What are the Standards of Academic Progress (SAP)?

    Federal regulations require institutions to monitor the academic progress of all financial aid recipients.  Delta College SAP standards require students to maintain a minimum grade point average following the Academic Status Scale (see link below), complete at least 67% of all attempted credits, and complete their program of study before they have attempted more than 150% of all required credits.  If you withdraw or stop attending a class, that class counts as an attempted credit that wasn’t completed.  For the complete Standards of Academic Progress policy, please see

  • What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from ALL my classes?

    If you received Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal Direct Loan, or Federal PLUS loan funds, federal regulations require Delta College to adjust these aid programs based on the percentage of the semester that you attended.  If you withdraw or stop attending (officially or unofficially) prior to completing more than 60% of the semester, we must perform a Return of Funds calculation (ROF).  A portion of your financial aid will be returned to the Department of Education.  You may also have to repay Delta College a portion of the aid that you received but did not earn.

Financial Aid Office vs. Student Finance Office


  • What is the difference between the Student Finance Office and the Financial Aid Office?

    These two offices are separate from one another administratively. The Financial Aid Office awards scholarships, grants, loans and work-study. The Student Finance Office sends bills, collects payments for college charges, and sends refund checks. Financial aid is disbursed to student accounts to help meet college charges. Financial aid advisors in the Financial Aid Office can assist students with all financial aid activities.



  • How will outside scholarships affect my financial aid award package?

    Federal regulations require that students who receive Federal Title IV aid not receive more financial aid than their demonstrated financial need. Your award package will be reviewed and adjusted as necessary. Delta College will first reduce your loan or work study award. If an over award situation continues to persist, we will then reduce need-based gift aid. We will send you a revised financial aid Award Letter that reflects the changes in your award.

  • Do I need to tell you about a scholarship that I am receiving from my high school or an organization in the community?

    Yes. If you are receiving federal aid, we are required to include the scholarship in your package. In addition, most scholarship donors send the checks to the college and make them payable to Delta College and the student. This is done to verify that you are enrolled at Delta. Informing us early reduces the number of corrections that must be made to your package and allows us to begin processing any loans included in your package.

  • Are scholarships available regardless of financial need?

    Yes. Scholarships are awarded to students based on high academic achievement, athletic ability, or other talent, without consideration of need.

  • If there is a delay in receiving my outside scholarship, what should I do?

    Please contact the Financial Aid Office(FAO). Outside scholarship dollars are not applied to your account until the check is received by the FAO. Unless you are enrolled full-time (minimum of 12 credit hours), a scholarship may not automatically be applied to your account or it may be adjusted based on your current enrollment level. Some outside agencies require that the student be enrolled full-time to receive the scholarship.

  • Should I return an outside agency scholarship check as payment with my billing statement to the Delta College Cashier’s Office?

    No. If you choose to pay your bill with an outside agency scholarship check, we suggest that you bring your check to the Financial Aid Office first. The payment will be applied promptly.

  • What other scholarships are available?

    There are many local, state and national organizations that grant scholarship funds. A comprehensive free scholarship search service is available on-line. The Financial Aid Information Page is accessible on-line at: Students should click on for an individualized scholarship search. For more information regarding scholarships visit:

  • If I scored 23 or above on my ACT and received a notice that I am eligible for the Michigan Competitive Scholarship, when should I expect to receive it?

    The Michigan Competitive Scholarship award is based on your ACT score and financial need as determined by the federal application process. If you listed another school first on your FAFSA, the Michigan Office of Scholarships and Grants will assume you are attending that school. You will need to notify the Michigan Office of Scholarships and Grants of your decision to attend Delta. You can do this by sending them the bottom portion of the Michigan Competitive Award Notice requesting that the award be sent to Delta or by calling their toll-free number 1-888-447-2687.

  • I was told that I can use my award to purchase a computer. How can I do that?

    After tuition, fees, books and required supplies are covered by a student’s Federal Pell Grant Award, a student may choose to use any remaining funds in the Delta College Bookstore to charge a computer during a defined timeline each semester.  You may also purchase a computer outside of the Delta College Bookstore, if you receive financial aid in excess of your college charges.   The balance will be refunded to you at the appropriate balance check date to use toward your other educational-related expenses, i.e., the purchase of a computer.







    Delta College Seal

    1961 Delta Road, University Center MI 48710 | 989-686-9000 |
    Delta College is an Equal Opportunity Organization, committed to excellence through inclusiveness and diversity.
    Copyright ©